Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bob Dylan




I was fortunate enough this morning to see a biography of Bob Dylan... just what I was in the mood for. What I love about him - I think I'll just list a few things:

his music

his lyrics

An artist in the real sense of the word. When the world wanted to make him a voice for a generation he declined and said it's just about writing the songs. Just about the creativity. You have to respect that.

I was fortunate enough to see him in concert at NIU a couple of years ago. Most of the audience left early - I'm thinking they wanted to hear all of his famous, old stuff... which would have also been fine with me... but instead it was a performace 'in the moment'. He changed the lyrics to familiar music and vice versa, he played brand new stuff. It was a great experience. He never spoke during the performace except at the very end when he made a lame skeleton joke - it was Halloween. : )

The best thing listening to Bob Dylan does for me is inspires me to be myself, in my art, and in my life - because he's so true to himself.

No comments: